OT: Unicode Unification Objections

Boris Borcic zorro at zipzap.ch
Mon May 8 08:57:58 EDT 2000

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> When subject matter experts from important language and cultural groups
> suggest that a unification in Unicode is objectionable, I think one
> should listen more carefully, even if it involves something that is hard
> to make sense of from within *our* cultural and language illusion.

Maybe we will end up discovering that unifying character sets by
embedding them unequivocally in a universal superset, suffers
from the same type of problem than the quest for a complete and
consistent axiom system. If so, the best that could occur is
to be quickly confronted with a language whose character set
is self-mapped by a duality, like the terms of projective geometry.
That way we'd learn to think in terms of mappings rather than
universal sets.

-- sorry, just thinking aloud.

BB