ANNOUNCE: Python CVS tree moved to SourceForge

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun May 28 23:51:26 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> writes:

> All that notwithstanding, I think the simple fact that many people will
> have local copies of the source covers the asteroid-and-earthquake thing.

I'm not sure of that.  The Python community recently lost a hard disk, and
despite its content was publicly available (if I understand things well),
it was not easy to recover from others the data it contains.

We should not take for granted that the whole of a project (sources, mailing
list archives, administrative files, etc.) is replicated by "many" users
(if any! :-), and even less that all SourceForge projects are replicated.

The backup strategy of SourceForge inspires confidence, at least to me,
so my comments, above, are mainly rhetorical.