Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon May 22 20:42:30 EDT 2000

> However, I am having trouble imagining how removing case-sensitivity from
> the language could improve usablility for any programmer, regardless of
> his/her skill level.  Most people seem to have no particular trouble with
> case-sensitivity in natural languages;

If you review the variety of formatting conventions in this list, you'll
find that that is not the case. Guido himself documented how people
speak of the String and FTPLib modules and python programming language.

> why should a computer language be any different?  On the other hand,
> maybe I am just too ingrained in my old thought patterns.

I prefer case sensitivity. But I think that most of the arguments people
make in favor of it are bunk.

1. If you spend time with newbies -- especially Windows-trained newbiews
-- you will note the case sensitivity is a problem.

2. Code written in a case insensitive language is roughly as robust and
readable as that in a case sensitive language.

The most honest arguments are "case sensitivity feels cleaner" and that
it "is more popular with existing programmers."

Just how compassionate can a Republican get before he has to leave the
GOP and join Vegans for Global Justice? ... One moment, George W. Bush
is holding a get-to-know-you meeting with a bunch of gay Republicans.
The next he is holding forth on education or the environment ... It is
enough to make a red-blooded conservative choke on his spotted-owl
drumstick.     - April 29th, Economist