Copyright and License

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri May 5 09:41:54 EDT 2000

[Neil writes]
>    Maybe a collective, something like "Copyright 2000 by the SciTE
group.
> Contributors are listed in the 'contributors' file."

Nah - stuff that for a joke!

Just like Python, anyone who submits code is effectively making a
donation.  It is in everyones interests that they do.  You hold the baby,
so it is yours.

More to the point, this stuff appears never to be a problem.  Every
maintainer of open source software knows the value of the contributors,
and the contributors appreciate the acknowlegement the maintainers go out
of their way to offer.  It works well, and appears to keep everyone happy.

So - IMO - Scintilla and Scite are (c) Neil, and he gratefully
acknowledges the assistance and support (as he in real-life, as all
software maintainers, do! :-)

[And a question I dont want to raise - what really does this "copyright"
mean, in the open source world?  It appears we are saying "we assert
copyright, but never intend actually enforcing it".  The words of the
tim-bot still echo (paraphrased) - "if possible, put it in the public
domain" :-)  As I said, I dont want to raise it :-]

Mark.