PalmPilot and python

Jeff Collins collins at seal.aero.org
Wed May 10 14:00:22 EDT 2000

I have ported 1.5.1 and am in the process of porting 1.5.2/1.6.  There
are a few problems with porting to the Palm, and the all relate to
memory.  First, on the PalmIII (PalmOS 3.0), there is only about 48K
(roughly 96K total) of usable heap space, a large portion of which the
python VM gobbles upon initialization.  This is improving on the newer
devices, which contain as much as 256K of heap.  The small 4K stack
poses a problem for recursive python algorithms, one I expect to
solve using stackless python.  The tools for porting have improved
since the 1.5.1 port and require many fewer intrusive modifications.

Hoping-to-release-soon-ly yrs,

Jeff