Python for Kids

Harry G. George hgg9140 at skewer.ca.boeing.com
Tue May 2 17:18:39 EDT 2000

Another data point:

A while ago I taught lego/logo to 3rd and 5th graders.  They drew a
winding road on butcher paper, complete with a lake and mountains.
Then built a robot car.  Then did an open loop program to drive it,
trying to stay on the road via timing their turns.  Then did a closed
loop program via sensors detecting lights at the turns.  Out of 15
kids involved, only about 5 really caught on to the programming
process (subroutines, parameters, etc.).  The others just enjoyed
playing with the robot and drawing things on the "map".  In that
context Python would do just fine if it had a robot.

Harry George                E-mail:  harry.g.george at boeing.com
The Boeing Company          Renton:  (425) 237-6915
P. O. Box 3707  OY-89       Everett: (425) 266-3149
Seattle, WA 98124-2207      Page:    (425) 631-8803