Future of the Python Linux Distribution

andrich at my-deja.com andrich at my-deja.com
Tue May 9 11:44:25 EDT 2000

Hi,

well I don't know what the problem of some people is. But go and get a
dictionary. Search for rhetoric and then reread my message. At least my
Oxford and my Webster provide the valid explanation of this word.

If we could leave this stuff out and discuss the topic, I would be more
then happy.

Thanks,

	Oliver

In article <yayk8h66otu.fsf at ganglot.ifi.uio.no>,
  Vetle Roeim <vetler at news.ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> * Oliver Andrich
> [snip]
> > P.S.: Why does everybody use the other "P" language? This is a
rhetoric
> > question and not meant to start a flame war. ;-)))))
>
>  - age. the other "P" language[0] has been around a little longer..
right?

>  - forced intentation. a friend of mine once said that he
>    categorically dislikes languages that forces that kind of
>    limitations on the programmer.
>
>    this aspect of Python *is* a litle weird. but all languages have
>    their weirdness.. many people judge are scared of new things.
>
>    let's just hope it doesn't get a reputation like Lisp (and
>    derivatives)[1].
>
>  - books. I may be very wrong about this, but are there more books
>    about the other "P" language?
>
>  - not hackish enough. Python code is nice to look at. code written in
>    the othet "P" language looks cooler.. to me (I'm an academic) it
>    just looks ugly. code should be beautiful.
>
>    but some people see that Python is all nice and tidy, and so they
>    dislike it because they can't write ugly, unmaintainable code[2]
>
>  - bad PR-agency[3]. until a year ago, I hadn't heard about Python.
>    now I use it all the time.
>
>  - well.. I'm out of ideas. someone fill in the rest..
>
> hope-this-clears-things-up-ly y'rs, vr
>
> [0]: no, I'm not referring to Pascal.. or Prolog. you know what I'm
>      referring to, you little weasel <wink>
> [1]: I like Lisp, but it *does* have a PR-problem.
> [2]: some of you may think I'm being sarcastic here.
> [3]: I know there's no PR-agency. it's a joke. laugh.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.