Compiling Python for BeOS 5

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Mon May 15 14:01:22 EDT 2000

Quoth Jerome Chan <eviltofu at rocketmail.com>:
| I've managed to compile it but under make test it just hangs on
| test_p_open2.py. Once I remove that file from the testing sequence seems
| to go into an infinite loop after test_threading. Also the struct module
| test failed as well.
|
| Does anyone have any hints in configuring Python for BeOS?

Ouch!  Well, I have three hints:

 1. Change the optimization from '-O3 -mpentiumpro' to just plain '-O'.
    I'd start with a clean unpack of the distribution and make this
    change to "configure", and then run configure with the usual flags.
    (--with-thread  --prefix=/boot/home/config)

    That's the most important.  The problem with struct is some incorrect
    code from gcc -O3.  (I assume you're on Intel hardware.)  I don't know
    exactly what it does, but it works fine if I insert a printf.  Who
    knows what else could suffer, maybe the test_threading problem is also
    compiler error.  The worst thing was when some experiments with popen2
    dropped the whole system into the kernel debugger.

 2. Don't bother with test_popen2.  I don't know what's wrong with it,
    but it's going to hang.

 3. Don't bother with test_select.  Likewise don't know what the actual
    problem is, but BeOS select has bugs, defects, weaknesses etc.
    One thing you might fix in selectmodule.c, if you need select(),
    is to use FD_SETSIZE for the 1st parameter to the C function, instead
    of the calculated maximum size.

    For myself, I plan to ignore these irritating defects in anticipation
    of the radical network service redesign, they're supposed to be fairly
    far with that and it's the only way to get it right.  After that, the
    socket will be a file descriptor, and that's the crux of it.

    That won't do anything to fix gcc, though, that's not good news!

With those three changes, I made it through the test suite with only the
usual failures.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu