How to get terminal width?

Samuel A. Falvo II kc5tja at garnet.armored.net
Wed May 3 16:00:38 EDT 2000

In article <8457258D741DD411BD3D0050DA62365907A13D at huina.oceanic.com>, Doug
Stanfield wrote:
>COLUMNS is there on my just installed Mandrake 7, a new Storm install, a Red
>Hat 5.2, 6.1, and a Mandrake 6.x.  In my world thats almost universal,
>although the sometimes accessed Solaris system doesn't have it.

With the example you gave above, it's anything *but* universal.  Both Storm
and Mandrake are RedHat derivatives.

However, I would like to point out that my Debian Potato installation has
COLUMNS defined.  It would be more useful if it also had a ROWS variable set
up as well.  :)

The question I'd like to know is, is this a POSIX requirement at all?  That
might prove to be useful research for when targetting applications that
require knowledge of terminal width.

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
Samuel A. Falvo II