lambda versus "mlambda"...

Kevin Russell krussell4 at videon.home.com
Thu May 11 01:50:35 EDT 2000

It doesn't look like it would be as convenient as your proposed
mlambda, but the "instancemethod" function from the "new"
module will let you create new methods on the fly.

Say for some unknown reason you want to add a first() method
to the UserList class without creating your own subclass.  With your
mlambda, you might be able to do something like

    UserList.first = mlambda x: x[0]

With instancemethod you could do the more convoluted, but
equivalent:

    UserList.first = instancemethod(lambda x: x[0], None, UserList)

If you only want the method to go on a single instance, replace the
None with the instance.  Like:

    myList.first = instancemethod(lambda x: x[0], myList, UserList)

Or if you want every UserList in your program to have special access
to the first element of the myList instance, you could even do:

    UserList.first = instancemethod(lambda x: x[0], myList, UserList)

This is starting to hurt my brain.  My temples are throbbing the same
way they did for the three minutes I actually understood what
currying was all about.  I'm going to stop now.

-- Kevin