Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Blake Winton bwinton at tor.dhs.org
Tue May 30 16:52:54 EDT 2000

On 30 May 2000 05:27:08 GMT, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>In fact, pretty much all SQL is case insensitive as far as I know.
>Don't be so sure of that.  While I can't speak to Oracle, in MS SQL
>Server, you can set the underlying database to be case sensitive, which
>also affects all field/table names.  This case sensitivity doesn't
>affect language keywords, which leads to a weird scenario where *part*
>of the SQL code is required to be case sensitive....

I also heard today that MSSQL will cache query strings, but only if
they're in the same case, so "Select foo From baz" would be cached, but
"Select foo from baz" wouldn't.  (It's a more useful feature if you're
dealing with prepared statements.)  So while it's not case-sensitive,
you gain benefits from using consistant case.

Later,
Blake.
--
4:27pm up 7 days, 7:37, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00