Book missing from python line-up?

bruce_eckel at my-deja.com bruce_eckel at my-deja.com
Mon May 29 10:20:56 EDT 2000

In article <392CB9B3.F5484CCB at ses.curtin.edu.au>,
  Nick Bower <N.Bower at ses.curtin.edu.au> wrote:
> I colleague the other day, who was familiar
with various procedural
> languages said:
>
> "I want to learn OOP.  Can you recommend a book
(and language)?"

> Both of us are scientists, and my bias is
Python in preference to Java.
> But when thinking about it, it seemed to me
that Python may not be the
> best choice because it isn't obvious that there
is a good book available
> that teaches OOP from a basic through to
advanced level with good
> examples.  Java however has a selection now,
and it seems that if you
> want to really learn more than just basic
concepts in OOP then Java is
> the language to go with.  Although I have
Programming Python, which
> contains some examples, I'm not so fond of
recommending it.

> If one of Python's goals is to be a good
teaching language, shouldn't
> there be a book about OOP using Python, rather
than the current books on
> Python with only chapters on OOP?
>
> What do other people think about this?  Am I
wrong in thinking there is
> nothing available?
>
> FYI - I'm thinking of picking up Bruce
Eskil's "Thinking in Java" for
> myself, but wish there was something comparable
in Python.

> Nick

See:
http://www.mindview.net/Python/ThinkingInPython.ht
ml

I have no idea how fast it will develop or when
there will be a first posting, but I'm pretty
sure it will focus on OOP, since most other folks
seem to be covering the language basics just fine.

Bruce

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.