Newbie: tutorial

Simon Brunning sbrunning at trisystems.co.uk
Tue May 23 04:20:41 EDT 2000

Tony Balazs and/or Wendy Webster wrote in message
<392a11d7.84245456 at nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>...
>Could someone please recommend a tutorial on Python programming in
a Win95 environment for someone
>who's essentially a non-programmer, though I do have some Smalltalk
and a tiny bit of VB?  I don't
>find the tutorial in the main distribution very easy as a starter.

As one newbie to another, I can recommend
<http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~mlh/python/programming.html> for an
introduction to programming, and
<http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~mlh/python/instant.html> for a bit more on
Python. After that, you might want to look at
<http://starship.python.net/crew/amk/grimoire/html/> for a
'cookbook' of useful techniques. If none of these take your fancy,
there are other links at the python site -
<http://www.python.org/doc/Intros.html>.

None of this covers Win95 in particular, but there is plenty there
to keep you going!

If you have any questions look ate the FAQs -
<http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html> and
<http://www.faqts.com/knowledge-base/index.phtml/fid/199/>. If you
can't find what you are looking for, don't be afraid to ask here -
this is one of the most civilised groups I have come across, and the
signal-to-noise ratio is *very* high.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.
sbrunning at trisystems.co.uk
The opinions expressed are mine, and are not necessarily those of my
employer. All comments provided "as is" with no warranties of any
kind whatsoever.