case-sensitivity compromise proposal

Steven D. Arnold stevena at permanent.cc
Tue May 23 08:04:24 EDT 2000

How about a pragma to indicate whether a given Python module was
case-insensitive?  Since Python is case-sensitive now, and to assist with
backward compatibility, I propose that case-sensitivity should be the
default.  Furthermore, we can arrange some way that a user can permanently
turn on case-insensitivity (or case-sensitivity) as the default for them,
in which case only programs with the opposite pragma would behave in the
non-default way.

The downside is that it requires users to remember to set a preference or
use a pragma, but I see that as a minor issue.  From the perspective of a
student, most likely the instructor will set the appropriate preference on
all classroom workstations.  On the other hand, the apparently numerous
programmers that prefer case-sensitivity can have it their way, too.

steve

Steven D. Arnold          Que quiero sera           stevena at permanent.cc
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard."    -- John F. Kennedy