Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Arthur Siegel ajs at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 21 19:48:01 EDT 2000

> I think the real question comes to whether the language needs to be
modified
> to support education of new programmers or kept the same to support wide
use
> in industry/acedemia.

If that were true, there really would be an dilemna.

My personal interest in Python is largely CP4E.  A believe Python is a
brilliant
teaching language, as is.  (wish I had less current reason to be in conflict
with its
creator).  I am not arguing that making it case insensitive would make it
any less brilliant.
Just that it is unnecessary.

And kids are smart, practical.  'Where's Logo going to get me.'  But they
use Python
on Yahoo (if I'm correct).  'Let's get to it'. Python being real world
industry/academia
is what makes it sellable - not to the school systems, but to the kids.
Anything that
jeopardizes its wide spread use in the real world jeopardizes CP4E as well.