Python Win32 and DDE

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Sun May 21 20:49:05 EDT 2000

> Does anyone know how I can now, from within the server, notify excel that
> the data has changed.  I am thinking
> of the way, for example, that Excel will automatically update stock quotes
> from a DDEServer like Reuters as they change.

   I've never used Python's DDE support but at the protocol level you can
continue sending WM_DDE_DATA messages if the client has asked for a hot link
which Excel normally does.

> Alternatively, is there any other alternative for "pushing" data to Excel
> from within python (without python knowing the specific
> cell address to publish info to, in which case its trivial).

   There are quite a few such as OLEDB and WOSA/XRT but they will require
more implementation time. WOSA/XRT was MS's preferred solution in the mid
'90s when I did this sort of thing but it was much harder than a simple DDE
server.

   Neil