other python ideas

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu May 25 10:00:09 EDT 2000

In article <bvSW4.6177$QB4.469358 at news.uswest.net>,
Jeff Massung <jmassung at magpiesystems.com> wrote:

>I'm new to Python - I'm understand why it is harmful (finally ;) - but was
>wondering, if it is that harmful, why have it to being with (what good can
>come from using it)?

The primary reason (according to Guido) for making "from foo import *"
available was to make the interactive shell easier and more useful.

>Also, what would be the harm in removing "passed down importing"
>(that's the only way I could think of to state it)? If y imports z and
>z imports y, why not have z have to import x to get the functionality
>of x, too?

If you don't use "from foo import *", you don't have this problem.  To
fix the "import *" problem would require a major change in the way
symbols are handled in Python, because right now symbols are symbols are
symbols -- the interpreter doesn't care where they came from.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Yes, but would you kick any of them out of bed?"
"That depends: do we have to do anything with them in the bed, or
are they just in the bed?" -- AM/SJM