(gulp) newbie question - portablity of python

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Sun May 14 16:32:55 EDT 2000

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Keygrass wrote:

> So ... my question is this: Is this really too good to be true?

Nope

> Basically, I want a build a program that will replace words and number on
> another file.  For example, if I had a file called "Outdoor_sports" that
> contained the word "baseball bat", I would want my program to change it so
> it would say "football".

Here it is, in its entirety.

-------
#!/usr/local/bin/python
import string, sys

def replace_word_in_file(file, word, replacement):
	f = open(file)
	s = f.read()
	f.close()
	s = string.replace(s, word, replacement)
	f = open(file, 'w')
	f.write(s)
	f.close()

if __name__ == '__main__':
	if len(sys.argv) < 4:
		exit(1)
	for file in sys.argv[3:]:
		replace_word_in_file(sys.argv[1], sys.argv[2], file)
-------

Save it as "replace.py", and it will work on pretty much anything.
For 10 more minutes of work, you can also write a Tk GUI which will work
on Windows an UNIX (and on MacOS, with a little coaxing)
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il>
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html