The REALLY bad thing about Python lists ..

Tamer Fahmy tamer at tammura.at
Tue May 23 19:10:36 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin wrote:
> But there is a very real cost here.  You have to decompress the whole
> thing to extract a single component.  The compression saving gained by
> the tar approach is negligible in the scale of the capabilities of
> modern computers.
Hmm not really. One can say:
tar xvzf archive.tar.gz directoryInTar/fileInTar.dat
Here we go. Just one file I got. No need to decompress it in an extra
cycle.

> also,-don't-be-rude-to-any-of-those-other-people-in-the-song--or
>   even-us-windows-users-<wink>-ly y'rs,
Granted! Your are so right with that! ;) But sometimes its very hard not
to be rude to a windows user! hehehe

Never-be-rude-to-anybody-ly y'rs,
  Tamer.

--
  -////-   | Tamer FAHMY, cs student at the univ. of technology Vienna
 --o o --  |                    irc, fics: tuhtah
--- <  --- |    web:http://www.tammura.at/   mailto:tamer at tammura.at
 -  v   -  | Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!