Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Paul Wright paul-wright at verence.demon.co.uk
Thu May 25 18:16:33 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8iqqfh.3o3.bwinton at tor.dhs.org>,
Blake Winton <bwinton at iname.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 22 May 2000 15:30:21 +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:
>>Neil Hodgson wrote:
>>>    While I /know/ that Unix file names are case sensitive, that doesn't stop
>>> me from mistyping them. This is something Windows and Macintosh do right -
>>> removing a cause of error for no real limitation in functionality.
>>The Macintosh solution to the problem of mistyped file names
>>is not to require users to type file names at all, other than
>>when creating the file. That has nothing to do with case
>>sensitivity!
>
>Aha!  Perfect!  We should re-write IDLE, so that for any given variable,
>you only type it once, and then whenever you want to use it after that,
>you click and drag it to the appropriate place!  Genius!  ;)

Or include the excellent feature in Vim which completes words or lines
using existing occurrences in the same file or in a user defined
dictionary. A decent Unix shell does completion for filenames too, of
course.

--
----- Paul Wright ------| Memes do not exist. Tell your friends.
-paul.wright at pobox.com--|