Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Arthur Siegel ajs at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 26 08:54:35 EDT 2000

Tim Peters  writes -

> I think the evidence that making Python case-insensitive will actually
help
> anyone is extraordinarily weak, but note that Guido hasn't *done* anything
> about this for years either.  The Alice project thought it important
enough
> that they actually changed their version of Python to ignore case, and in
> world of weary Usenet debates (i.e., lots of talk, lots of froth, no
> consensus), that spoke very loudly to Guido.
>
> He'll do what he thinks best.  I may have to punch him in the throat to
get
> his attention on this one, but violence before its time is
> counter-productive.

You apparently do not give the same weight to the Alice project conclusions
than does Guido.  I appreciate very much you saying that publicly.  From TP,
that position, stated publicly, is important.

But as I have said before, for someone interested in CP4E today, the issue
of
Alice's credibility is here today. The toy the girls were playing with in
his Linux Journal article smelled a lot like Alice.

Guido reminds here of a boss I had.  He'd take the advice of the guys at the
club
everytime over his own guys - because we worked for him, and he had to
assume
he had to know more than us to be our boss, so that our advice meant
nothing. A
successful plumbing contractor at the club became his advisor on how to run
a technology
consulting firm. Disaster.