Python for Kids

Mike Fletcher mfletch at tpresence.com
Tue May 2 17:22:04 EDT 2000

Hmm, I learned Apple II+ Basic in grade 1.  No problems with it (well, it
didn't have much of a library to do anything interesting, but that wasn't a
problem with the language per-se).  I'd guess an enrichment course (which I
think was what the group is?) would have no problem with Python.  Lack of
decent GUI support on Mac is a problem.  Gifted children generally want to
do something big, something they can get excited about, without an
accessible GUI, that's hard.  A "Life"-like system where the user drops in
"simulation code" for block types might be an interesting project (you'd
code the system, they'd code the block-analysis code).  Gives them a
tangible/graphical feedback, without requiring that they learn event-driven
GUI design.  You handle the ugly stuff, they concentrate on learning
iteration, conditionals, variables, etceteras.

Good luck,
Mike