Pass by reference?

Dale Strickland-Clark dale at out-think.NOSPAMco.uk
Thu May 25 04:08:22 EDT 2000

There isn't much else that's relevant around this statement.

DBCon is an ADO connection object. This statement deletes some rows in a
database and should return the number deleted in delcnt - the second
argument. However, delcnt is always zero regardless of actual count deleted.

    delcnt = 0
    print DBCon.Execute("delete from parts where path='%s' and drive='%s'" %
(path, drive), delcnt, 1)
    print delcnt

However, I stuck a print statement on the front to see what was returned and
found a list of two items, the second of which is the count I want - but why
isn't it returned where it should be?

Also the following program proves to me that arguments are passed by value
and not by reference:

def wibble(var):
    var = 1

x = 0
wibble(x)
print x

It prints 0 showing that the assignment in wibble is made to a copy of x

So - how do I pass a variable to a function/subroutine/method by reference?

Thanks for any insight into this.

--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Out-Think Ltd, UK