Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Tue May 30 06:59:24 EDT 2000

William Tanksley <wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net> wrote:
>>4. the point, that bothers me most about case insensitivity, is, that
>>consistency in the spelling of identifiers will be lost. That means, because
>>case doesn't count any more, why should a programmer enforce any kind of
>>rules in the use of type case ? Why should one even consider using the same
>>case for the same identifier in different places ? What would the right
>>typing be anyway, if Python doesn't check it anymore ?

> Your rhetorical questions answer themselves.  Why should a programmer
> enforce these things?  Because it's stupid to NOT enforce them.  So
> enforce them already!

That's nice to say, but you don't agree with that yourself if you think
Python's use of indentation is a good thing. It can help a lot if the
language makes it impossible to be inconsistent. Unless you think the
_only_ advantage of Python's indentation strategy is the lesser line
count.

Regards,

Martijn