Java vs Python

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at home.com
Sat May 27 12:18:43 EDT 2000

Hi All--
faatdilac at my-deja.com wrote:

[bobbit]

> It's a thankless & shameless attitude to say that C is not generally
> useful while C has been feeding generations of software professionals.
>
> The name Dennis M. Ritchie shines as long as Perl, Tcl/Tk, Python exist.
> Show me a commercially successful language compiler developed in any of
> the scripting languages. Show me an OS developed in any of the
> scripting languages.
>
> The software world would be much poorer without C.

I started programming back in the 60s with 1401 Autocoder.  I moved to
COBOL, and thought, "how wonderful!" because it was *so* much easier.

I discovered unix and C in 1983, and was *overwhelmed* by the a)
sensibility of unix; and b) the power and expressiveness of C.

Are there any OSs written in COBOL?  I think not.

<just-another-me-too-post>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Axent Technologies, Inc.
http://www.pauahtun.org/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours