really silly nit: why 3+5j instead of 3+5i?

Jeff Petkau jpet at eskimo.com
Sat May 13 02:19:06 EDT 2000

Can anyone tell me why Python uses 'j' instead of 'i' for imaginary
numbers? I know this is really minor, but every bloody time I
use complex numbers I forget and type i's, and have to go back
and change them all to j's. My fingers just won't learn.

[History of imaginary number notation, according to Google: Euler
invented the things, and he used 'i'. Gauss made 'em famous, and
he used 'i'. Everyone since then has used 'i' except for electrical
engineers, and they probably just changed it to cause trouble. So
why does Python use 'j'?]

--Jeff