Where is time.strptime()?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Wed Nov 8 16:14:39 EST 2000

[Tim]
>> + Does [this implementation of strptime] compile and run correctly
>>   on all Python platforms?

[Hrvoje Niksic]
> Why is this necessary?  I thought it would be used only on platforms
> that don't have a native strptime().

See below.

> + Is this particular version of strptime "the correct" one (strptime
> isn't available everywhere *now* because it's not part of ANSI C, so
> some platforms don't supply it -- while those that do apparently
> don't always agree on its input->output behavior)?

> I don't think any one of them is "correct", as even the standards
> conflict on what should be done.  But still, even an average one will
> beat having none.

Says you, and that's fine, but others won't agree.  Adding support for
non-ANSI C functions is always a battle for this reason; you can't avoid the
fight by delcaring that *you* don't care.  That's what PEPs are for.  I
personally have no interest in strptime, so don't wait for me to "do
something"!  If nobody in the community cares enough to do the work, so it
goes.

>> + Clause 3 renders this license incompatible with the GPL (the
>> Regents of the U of CA have no authority to revoke such clauses in
>> licenses other than their own).

> I think the advertising clause has been removed from all BSD software
> some time ago.  The copyright notice might be out of date.

So who's going to straighten that out?  I'm not interested.  Is anyone else
interested *enough*?

nobody-yet-has-been-ly y'rs  - tim