Grant Edwards grante at
Thu Nov 16 17:06:08 CET 2000

In article <3a136508_2 at>, Joshua Muskovitz wrote:

>Forking a process which opens a socket, sends a packet, waits
>for the result, and then returns said result to your process is
>*much* slower than just doing it yourself.

We're talking about pinging hosts on the Internet, which takes
tens or hundreds of ms, and you're worried about a few
microseconds of overhead involved in a fork/return?

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. If I cover this
                                  at               entire WALL with MAZOLA,
                                 wdo I have to give my AGENT
                                                   ten per cent??