CPython vs. Jython/JPython

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Mon Nov 6 00:24:57 EST 2000

>> I think this poster was referring to the fact that most JVMs are
>> written in C, necessarily creating a bit of a chicken and the egg
>> problem. Which isn't to rule out all sorts of other possibilities,
>> of course. :)
>
>Maybe I came in late and missed something, but the statement I quoted
>doesn't seem to be talking about which came first.

Um. I really don't know the posters original intent, but most arguments
of this sort allude to general tendency of Java users to execute their
java byte codes on a JVM. This JVM is usually written in C. Ergo it
is "impossible" to have faster Java than C, because it's really C which
is doing the execution.

This is forgetting native compilers, and the like, course. This is also
forgetting various advantages one might not use given standard normal
practices in one language and not the other.

It really depends on where you're coming from, I'm sure.

C//