Basic help wanted: building on unix

Paul Boddie paulb at infercor.no
Mon Nov 20 13:00:38 EST 2000

"Russell E. Owen" wrote:

> Thanks to everybody for their helpful responses.
>
> I'll install the source on any partition that has room, after getting
> gcc and gnu make. Then try to figure out how to get Tkinter and wxPython
> installed (I can't run wxPython on my Mac, so here's my first chance to
> see if it's more suitable than Tkinter for my project).

It should be straightforward enough, if Solaris 8 is similar enough to previous
releases of Solaris. You shouldn't need GNU make, however, as I seem to recall
that Python is (or at least was) fairly happy with Sun's make. I installed GNU
make for other reasons myself, though. ;-)

As for Tkinter, it should be easy enough to configure and install if you follow
the instructions provided with Python. wxPython is a bit harder, given that you
will need to install glib, gtk+, and wxGTK before you get to installing wxPython
itself. These should build easily enough, using the configure system that Python
also uses, but be careful to read wxPython's documentation about
Solaris-specific compiler options, and don't be too concerned if you don't get
wxPython 2.2.2 working... I'm currently on 2.2.1 until I get around to trying
2.2.2 again.

Good luck!

Paul