Python with XML opinion?

Thomas A. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Nov 5 21:18:31 EST 2000

Chris wrote:

> I was just looking for an opinion about learning Python in association with
> XML. I am new to programming, and from what I have found it seems either
> Python or Pearl would be my best bet to begin to learn programming. Thanks
> for any info.

Unless you're very familiar with UNIX shell scripting or common
UNIX tools such as sed and awk, I'd recommend Python.  Perl's
roots in UNIX still show strongly.  I have found Python to be
cleaner and more consistent.  In my opinion, Python also
encourages better style in beginners than does Perl.  I would
never teach someone Perl as his first language.  I am currently
teaching someone Python as her first language.

To get both viewpoints, I recommend that you ask the same
question in comp.lang.perl.misc.

---Tom