Is Python any good with MySQL?

Keith MacDonald keith at nojunk.textpad.com
Mon Nov 6 06:15:30 EST 2000

I've been successfully using Perl for web site development, but don't really
like it, as it is so baroque.  All the different ways it has to achieve the
same ends makes it very difficult to follow anyone elses code.  It certainly
isn't self-documenting!

At first inspection, Python seems a much cleaner language, but I'm
disappointed about its lack of inbuilt support for databases.  This is such
a fundamental requirement nowadays that it is worrying that it has been left
to 3rd party add-ons.  I need to be able to get up and running quickly, on
both Windows and Unix with MySQL, but I've struggled for two days with
mxODBC and am now completely stuck.  The database documentation is
hopelessly inadequate - it assumes far too much prior knowledge - and the
lack of sample code makes me wonder if it's actually in use in production
environments.

Before I give in and go back to Perl, would anyone care to reassure me that
Python really is suitable for web site development with MySQL, and point me
at some documentation which will help me get started?

Thanks,

Keith MacDonald