Status of IDLE?

Tom Loredo loredo at spacenet.tn.cornell.edu
Wed Nov 1 15:25:51 EST 2000

Hi folks-

What's the status of IDLE---the current version, future prospects, etc.?
I've just installed Python2.0, and it comes with the same version of
IDLE as did 1.5.2 (version 0.5).  The IDLE page at Python.org notes
that the current version is 0.6, and directs the reader to the Python1.6
page for more info.  That page directs you back to the IDLE page for
more info (a circular reference that needs to be garbage-collected?).
The idle fork at SourceForge has a version 0.7 available, but there
is precious little comment about it there (e.g., an empty release notes
page).  Is this version experimental?  Where is version 0.6?  What
version should us IDLE fans be using?

I checked the idle-dev archives, but there is little comment there,
making me wonder if IDLE development has stalled.

Thanks,
Tom Loredo