tkFileDialog, but no tkDirectoryDialog?

vplatt at my-deja.com vplatt at my-deja.com
Wed Nov 1 13:50:43 EST 2000

I have been unable to find any Tkinter dialog
which would allow users of my application to pick
a directory.  My work-around right now is to
simply allow them to choose a file (using
tkFileDialog) within the directory, which I then
split from the result and get the directory name
that way.

As you might imagine, this is a hack which
doesn't work for directories which don't have
files in them.

I could put together a python mega-widget (Pmw)
to do directory selection, but then the look and
feel will be completely different from
tkFileDialog.  I suppose then that I could put
together a tkFileDialog replacement too so they
will look consistent.  And then the problem would
go away, but my client would probably want to
kill me for wasting all that time on their dime.

Oh, and I did look in the win32 libraries offered
by ActiveState and did not find anything by them
that would at least allow me to bring up the
directory selection common dialog for at least
the Windows clients (which will be in the
majority).  Did I miss something?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.