fastmath library?

William Annis annis at biostat.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 17 09:25:54 EST 2000

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:
> but still, despite the remarkable improvement, the
> memoizing is still slowing us down by over a factor
> of two.

        Yep.  I even mention that in my post that memoizing doesn't
help at all when you're just looking for sines or square roots.  As
others have noted, the all the looking up slows things down.  If,
however, you have a more complex function, like, for example, finding
the GCD or some flavor of a Fibonacci series, then the memoizing is a
big help if you plan to call the function a lot.

--
William Annis - System Administrator - Biomedical Computing Group
annis at biostat.wisc.edu                       PGP ID:1024/FBF64031