can't find standard libraries after RedHat 7.0 install. Help?

Steve steve at nospam.twovoyagers.com.invalid
Fri Nov 3 17:51:57 EST 2000

Ari Davidow wrote:

> Well, this is pretty silly. I've got the RedHat CDs. In this case, 7.0.
> It has the version of python (1.5.2) that I want. There were four RPMs.
> I tried to install each, and got an "already installed" message for
> each. But I'll be damned if I can find anything on this box other than
> the single python binary--no docs, no modules, nothing. I've done
>
>  find / -file "py.*" -print

  Why not 'locate python' ?

>  I've searched for directories that are there for normal distributions,
>  like "Tools" or "Lib". I don't know if this is an example of rpm being
>  weirder than I thought, or my mishandling of "find."
>
>  I've also tried installing with the --allfiles option set, but that
>  still takes me back to the "module already installed message."

'rpm -qa | grep python' will show which python rpms are
installed.  'rpm -qi <package name>' will give you some
interesting info about it, and 'rpm -ql <package name>'
will provide you with a list of all the files it provides.
(thus showing you in which directories they're located)

--
Steve Ackman
Glass Host, Arts & Crafts                  http://www.delphi.com/crafts