why 'double tuple' when using %s with print?

jkndeja at my-deja.com jkndeja at my-deja.com
Fri Nov 10 17:50:20 CET 2000

Hello Steve
    Thanks for your useful reply.

I was about to post a re-statement of my question, in the light of
further pondering. This would have asked something like:

"Given the dynamic typing nature of Python, why is it that I have to
know whether or not to create a tuple of an object, when trying to
print it using the '%s' format specifier, depending on whether or
not it is (or might be) already a tuple"?

"is it, for instance, the case that I should always use the tuple form,
and the without-parentheses form is a degenerate case"

Which is pretty much what you're saying.

I wasn't particularly expecting any behaviour BTW, just trying to
maximise my understanding of what seemed to be an inconsistancy in

Thanks for clarifying the use of 'singleton' in this context, BTW.

I might suggest a change in wording to Fred Drake - I came across this
in code I was writing and the manual didn't help me too much.

    Best Regards
    Jon N

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.