Thankyou -Alex - WxPython WxWindows

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 15:32:30 EST 2000

"grant" <gsc at ultra.net.au> wrote in message
news:3a08051b at mega.ultra.net.au...
> Thankyou for your info - I had seen a article at O'Reilly network Python
> Devcenter : titled
> "Python Programming on Win32 using WxPython(WxWindows)" so it

Ah yes, a short excerpt from Hammond and Robinson's excellent
Win32/Python O'Reilly book -- but the book is not about cross
platform, on the contrary it focuses on Win32.

> appers that this is may be the best way for me to go.
> I am new to Linux/Windows cross platform coding - so I want to make
> sure I choose the right areas and tools.

wxWindows _is_ focused on cross-platform issues, and
handles them well, it seems to me.  Not just GUI, though
it's _mostly_ that, but also auxiliary things (that may be
less burning needs in Python than in C++, but still,
can't hurt).  So have a look at http://www.wxpython.org/ ...

*NOTE*: I recommend you learn quite a bit about the
Python *language* and its *standard built-in libraries*
before you start to focus on GUI's and other advanced
stuff.  Start with Guido's tutorial (comes with Python),
since you're already experienced in programming in
other languages -- don't forget to study the sources of
the standard libraries and make sure you understand
at least 3/4 of what you're reading...!-)  [OK, you can
skip modules in fields you don't really care about, of
course!-)]

Alex