ping

Tim Lavoie tim.lavoie at mts.net
Thu Nov 16 11:39:17 EST 2000

In article <8uubhg$rrl$1 at localhost.localdomain>, Krister Bruhwel wrote:
>I would like to write a ping program.  I'm trying to use Python
>to ping machines and then generate a web page that displays the
>ping times.  Can anyone point me in a direction towards learning
>how to ping a machine in Python?
>
>Thanks, Krister

Another approach not mentioned yet is that you could simply do a TCP
connection attempt to a known port, if access to a machine is all you need
to verify. That way, you don't need to be root, which is pretty dodgy if
you're running it as a CGI.

For some neat ideas on things to play with, you might also want to check out
a program called "nmap". It isn't written in Python, but it's still cool.