P*rl in Latin, whither Python?

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Sun Nov 12 18:58:11 EST 2000

On 12 Nov 2000 18:54:30 +0100, Martin Christensen
<knightsofspamalot-factotum at mail1.stofanet.dk> wrote:
>Not many Americans speak more than one language, and those who speak more
>than two are truly rare.

    Of course getting us interested in any other language is a chore.  Mind
you I don't think it is purely on the personal level.  I remember when I made
my choice to study German in high school.  At the time I was living in
Southern California (well, still am) and everyone I knew, everyone, asked why
I didn't take Spanish instead since it clearly was more practical.  Obviously
the message was that if it wasn't practical, it wasn't worth it.  :/

>When I tell them that I am currently learning my seventh most of them don't
>believe me.

    Well, I know two.  English and Perl.  That count's right?  :)

    Actually, I'd believe it assuming you're living where you're domain says
you are, Germany.  Well, Europe in general.  The chances of you coming in
contact with more languages is higher than those in America.  That alone
appeals to the "practical" nature of learning languages.

>Anyway, let me suggest correspondence as a way of improving your skills. It's
>not the same as direct interaction, but it's probably your best shot for now.

    Tried that as well.  We never got around to actually writing in Esperanto,
though.  :(