Updated Berkley DB interface?

Andrew Dalke dalke at acm.org
Fri Nov 17 04:02:50 EST 2000

Thomas Weholt wrote:
>Great news! Could this module be included in the standard distro in the
near
>future, like 2.1 or 2.2, or will it be a seperate module we need to build
>and compile ( in addition to Berkley DB itself ) ? And will the module
>support 3.x or the 2.x serie? ( Probably a dumb question but ... )

The Sleepycat license is "Open Source[tm]" but places restrictions
on derivative code not present in the Python license.  Therefore,
I doubt it will be added to the standard Python distribution.

  http://www.sleepycat.com/licensing.html

Although I suppose it's no different than the readline module.

In addition, the API keeps changing over every major point release.
If the standard distribution included the interface it would require
the Python developers to track changes.  I think that's best done
now as a 3rd party extension.  Even better would be to have Sleepycat
support Python.  My old boss works there (Hi, Mike!) and I've
tried to convince him ... :)

                    Andrew
                    dalke at acm.org