Basic help wanted: building on unix

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Nov 20 14:03:46 EST 2000

In article <8v4d9n$a3hg$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>, Donn Cave wrote:

>| I remember when installing things under SunOS/Solaris was
>| always _easier_ than installing things under Linux.  :)
>
>To digress, this is just trading masters.  Once we were stuck
>with unportable code written for proprietary UNIX versions,
>now we're stuck with unportable code written for Linux.

Quite so.  I'm still surprised at how quickly it happened.  I
never would have believed you had you told me back in the
pre-RedHat days that in a few years people runing SunOS would
be having problems getting stuff to run because everybody else
uses Linux.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I wonder if I
                                  at               ought to tell them about my