GUID Generators for non-Windows systems?

Olivier Dagenais olivierS.dagenaisP at canadaA.comM
Sun Nov 5 15:46:53 CET 2000

This "security feature" made me think of MD5, which also happens to be a
16-byte number.  I don't know what Mike (the original poster) was looking
for, but you could probably build a 16-byte string that looks like a GUID by
using the PC's MAC address, IP address, serial number, time, etc..  It
doesn't matter what you feed MD5, it will always produce a 16-byte string...

Olivier A. Dagenais - Software Architect and Developer
"Someone called 'Type your name here' is impersonating me on the
internet and is posting exactly the same things I am posting!"

news:mailman.973393154.10789.python-list at