Handle Word document on Unix box?

Philip 'Yes, that's my address' Newton nospam.newton at gmx.li
Sat Nov 11 03:40:06 EST 2000

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:42:23 GMT, dsin at noc.ntua.gr wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a way to extract information from a M$
> Word document or at least how to convert it into something useful (xml,
> html etc.), on a Unix machine?

Honza Pazdziora gave a presentation on exactly this subject at yapc::Europe
19100. Though he did it in Perl, the solution could probably be adapted to
Python. I believe he had MS machines which controlled Word, Excel, etc. by OLE
automation, causing them to save MS-format documents to plain text or RTF or
something, then transmitted that by RPC to Unix clients. Sounded quite nice.

His address is: Honza Pazdziora <adelton at informatics.muni.cz> ; you could try
contacting him.

Cheers,
Philip