P*rl in Latin, whither Python?

Tim Hammerquist tim at degree.ath.cx
Sat Nov 18 19:22:07 EST 2000

Samuel A. Falvo II <kc5tja at garnet.armored.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:06:48 -0500, Peter Hansen wrote:
> >Sorry, you're disqualified.  It should have been:
> >
> >  ooh! ooh! I, I!
>
> Sorry, but that's not true.  "Me!", when used in this context, is an
> imperative, as in, "Give it to me!" or, "Notice me!"

Agreed.  This follows the French in saying 'Moi' (me) in this same context.
However, Spanish _does_ use "yo" (I) in this context.

If Mr. Hansen wishes to push the issue, we can start by tackling the
issue of a famous greeting: "It's me."  In strict grammatical terms,
the subject (It) and the object (me), linked by a verb of being (is),
are in conflict with each other.  However, this also follows the French idiom
of "C'est moi" (It's me.)   Spanish, however, uses "Soy yo" in this
case (literally: "I am I"), which agrees all 'round.  I would suggest
that Mr. Hansen take up Spanish.  ;)

--
-Tim Hammerquist <timmy at cpan.org>

Big egos are big shields for lots of empty space.
	-- Diana Black