Python Project Idea

Paul Wright -$Paul$- at verence.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 19:01:41 EST 2000

In article <3a06eae6.70322297 at news.telus.net>, David <root at 127.0.0.1> wrote:
>I think some people have misinterpreted what I said.
>
>The Windows Desktop, Taskbar, Tray and Start Menu are all part of the GUI
>shell for Windows.
>There are replacement shells that give a completely different behaviour to
>the shell.
>These aren't one-shot shell commands: they're a complete replacement for a
>core part of the Windows interface.  They don't execute-and-die; they're
>there permanently.

I think everyone assumed the Unix use of the word "shell", which is the
program which handles what you type at the command line. It's not a one
shot thing either: it's where you spend most of your time, and it can do
some powerful things. GUIs are nice too, but some things you can only do
from the command line (see Neal Stephenson's essay, "In the Beginning
was the Command Line").

A Pythonic shell (in the Unix sense) and a GUI shell allowing you
to tie Python to desktop objects easily both sound like good ideas. I
think there's already a Perl based command line shell, though I've not
used it.

--
----- Paul Wright ------| Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal
-paul.wright at pobox.com--| desire. --Dorothy Parker