Ruby and Python

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at effbot.org
Mon Nov 20 03:27:45 EST 2000

"graham73" wrote:
> By this definition C has first class functions. Sure you have
> the minor inconvenience of having to take pointers to functions,
> and using dereferencing to call them. But that's a minor point.
> So does C have first class functions?

According to the usual definition, C has first-class function pointers,
not first-class functions -- you cannot rename functions, you cannot
have anonymous functions, you cannot return code from a function,
etc.

(See the comp.compilers archives for long discussions on this topic)

If you prefer you're own definition, that's fine, but I'm afraid "graham73
told me he'd seen it on usenet" isn't really that convincing...

</F>