CPython vs. Jython/JPython

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sat Nov 4 16:47:44 EST 2000

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 08:16:45PM +0000, Greg Jorgensen wrote:

> Benchmarks may show a lot of things, but they can't show that Java can be
> MORE efficient than ANSI C, controlling for other variables. That would be

Actually, Perl, which is written in C (unsure if it's ANSI or K&R style, but
that doesn't matter,) can be faster than 'normal' C code. Perl apparently
uses 'tricks', directly modifies FILE structures, etc, on platforms that it
knows enough about to do such things. Yes, you can do this in your own C
program, but noone does it. Why ? Because it would be a hell to maintain.
Because it's hard to figure out what is 'optimum' usage for your system. The
Perl code is already tuned for it, and you get that extra performance for
free.

The same way Java can be faster than the 'equivalent' C. You get to
piggyback your code on the speed optimizations of professional programmers
who thought long and hard about how to optimize certain Java operations. 'C
speed' isn't an absolute, it's a question of how you write that code, what
library calls you use, how large the buffers are that you use, etc.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>