unicode revisted

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Fri Nov 17 05:11:21 EST 2000

June Kim wrote:

> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at lemburg.com> wrote in message
> news:3A12CA2A.859E4355 at lemburg.com...
> > June Kim wrote:
> > >
> > > "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > >
> > > [snipped]
> > >
> > > After careful reading of the Python Unicode Proposal.txt, I could
> > > make everything *almost* clear. Now I feel much better.
> >
> > Which parts aren't clear yet ?
> [snipped]
>
> They were rather of Unicode and the stuff per se, not Python specific.
> Now that I've perused unicode.org and lots of documents, I feel better
> again.
>
> Thanks anyway for asking me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> June.
>
> [ps. Did you write the proposal? It was awesome.]

Yes. I was contracted to design a proposal and then implement it
by a company you all know as host of Python development in recent
years. The project itself was initially founded by HP.

Using Fredrik Lundh's unicode type as code basis provided a quick
start, the path from there took some unexpected turns, but I think
in the end, we came up with an easy to use interface which goes
a long way in trying to integrate 8-bit strings and Unicode.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg