Pure or hybrid?

Daniel Klein DanielK at aracnet.com
Fri Nov 10 11:10:22 EST 2000

Thanks to all who answer (publically and privately) my "Lost at C" thread.

It brings up another question however. In Smalltalk and Java, those
languages are, for the most part, programmed in their own language
(especially Smalltalk. Java, with it's primitive types and static typing is
ugly to say the least). This means that if I want to see how something is
implemented and/or copy some piece of code, it's right there for the taking,
and I don't have to leave the 'comfort' of the language in which I'm
familiar. I noticed in Python that many of the functions are coded in C and
if you don't have a C background (like me :^( ) then it reduces the
effectiveness of the programmer. I guess where I'm going with all of this,
is Python mostly coded in C or is it mostly coded in itself? Or is it
hybrid?

Thanks,
Daniel Klein